10.11.2008

Crash Test Dummy

I was rear-ended yesterday on the New York State Thruway, which threw my car into the fender of another.

Civilization came to life with cell phones, state troopers, firemen, tow trucks and insurance adjusters. The guy in front of me was a Satmer hasid, who took out his prayerbook while the cop was writing his accident report. I thought: This is a warning from the God of Vengeance because I skipped shul, once again, on the Day of Atonement.

The guy behind was a white working-class guy from Pennsylvania whose car was a total wreck. He apologized for smashing into me, and I thought: Vote for Obama, he'll fix everything.

No one was seriously injured, and I managed to drive home with my muffler kissing the pavement. But I did feel banged up, and told the insurance company that I'd see how I was in the morning.

It's now the morning, and I see in the New York Times that China is allowing peasants to own land for the first time in decades, while the U.S. government is buying shares of ownership in private banks. Gay couples can get married in Connecticut, and the Republican-dominated Alaska legislature is accusing Sarah Palin of ethics violations as governor. Manny Ramirez said nice things about a pitcher who threw at him and John McCain defended Barack Obama against the vitriol of his crazed supporters.

Maybe I'd better report a head injury to the insurance company.

4 Comments:

Blogger rokhl said...

Don't worry, Larry. I prayed for you. :-) Refuah shleymah for you and your car.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You may or may not have a head injury (let's hope not), but you don't have to have your head examined.

There's reason to be optimistic, but no reason to stop making good things happen.

Like this election...it ain't over 'til it's over.

Laurie Aron

2:38 PM  
Blogger eve said...

Glad to hear that you are okay.

Just don't go doing it again to see what else will happen!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Veg said...

There's nothing funnier than the real world.

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home